The holiday season in Cambridge is always a joyful event. You’ll know that it’s Christmas when the trimmings and the tree are up. Everyone is also preparing for gift giving and the feast.
- Christmas meal – holiday celebrations won’t be complete without a feast. The dining table would consist of mince pies, Christmas pudding, turkey, and Brussel sprouts.
Christmas lunch would start either right after the Queen’s speech or at one o’clock in the afternoon. And on Boxing Day, leftovers would be served. Turkey sandwich is the usual meal.
- Listening to the Queen’s speech – the reigning monarch would deliver the Christmas Day message. It started in 1932 and continues up to the present. The Queen’s message covers international and local affairs.
- Christmas carols and service – Come to the Great St. Mary’s Church every Christmas season to witness the candlelit ceremony. The worship songs and lit candles accompany the church service. It is a tradition that goes a long way back.
The Christmas service at King’s College happens on Christmas Eve. This is also shown in BBC World Service and can be watched by everyone, everywhere.
- Christmas sack – Children hang a Christmas sack or a Christmas stocking at the foot of their bed. It is common practice to flock to the stores to buy gifts. Aside from the shopping centers, the Market Square and Mill Road are popular destinations for Christmas shoppers.
The holiday is also an occasion for gift giving and it is common practice to flock to the stores to buy gifts. Aside from the shopping centers, the Market Square and Mill Road are popular destinations for Christmas shoppers.
- Pantomime – it is a stage production meant to entertain the whole family. It is a comedy and based on a fairy tale. Some local productions would also include minor celebrities in the lead role.
Over time, these traditions change. Some of these will adapt to something practical. But it is more important to spend time with the family and be thankful for the blessings received throughout the year.
Start to enjoy your stay in Cambridge! Have a comfortable and convenient stay with us at the lowest rate as possible. BOOK NOW! Have a look at our properties here.